Happy Family is a Chinese American dish that combines fresh seafood, meat, and vegetables. This is the Chinese Stir-Fry twist on the classic American surf n’ turf and tossed in brown sauce. Here’s how you can make your very own Happy Family:
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup cut onion, green and red bell peppers
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/2 cup of mixed seafood, peeled/cleaned shrimp, lobster meat, crab meat, and fresh scallops
- 1 cup of meat including slices of pork, chicken, and beef
- 4 cups of freshly diced vegetables including mushroom, sliced bamboo shoot, baby corn, sliced water chestnut, broccoli florets, sliced carrots, trimmed snow peas
Make Your Marinade:
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon Chinese cooking wine
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
Make Your Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 pinch of ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine
- 3/4 cup of chicken broth mixed with 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- salt and sugar to taste
- Prepare the marinade with the ingredients above and mix it into the meat and seafood. As you let the meat and seafood marinade, prepare the sauce based on the ingredients above.
- In a wok, heat up 2 tablespoons of oil until it’s hot (almost smokey). Toss in the sliced onions and peppers and allow it to cook until they are soft. Add in minced garlic, and the rest of your mix of vegetables and gently stir for about 2 minutes. Lastly, add a dash of salt, white pepper, then set it aside on a dish.
- Once the wok is emptied, add another 1 tablespoon of oil and let it heat it. At this point, toss into the wok your seafood and meat mix. Stir-fry the meat and seafood for 1-2 minutes, until they turn slightly brown.
- In the final step, you’ll add the mixed vegetable dish back into the wok now with the meat and seafood. You’ll stir in the Brown Sauce you’ve prepared as well as the chicken broth. Continue stirring and add in salt and sugar to taste, until everything is thoroughly cooked.
- Place on a dish and serve immediately!